Visual & intrusive survey works to the external emergency access staircase of this operational sailing club located adjacent to Grafham Water reservoir
Location: Grafham Water, Cambridgeshire
JBSR were appointed through the client’s framework contractor to undertake the specialist concrete testing of this external staircase and podium structure at their premises located on Grafham Water in Cambridgeshire.
Acting on the project brief of identifying any defects and production of a repair and protection schedule, JBSR successfully completed the following items of work:
- Setup and demarcation of the works area
- Visual survey of all concrete elements to identify visible structural defects
- Hammer tap survey to identify any loose or de-bonded concrete elements not identified visually
- Cover meter survey to identify the location and depth of any in-situ steel reinforcement within the structure
- Carbonation testing utilising phenolphthalein solution to identify the depth of carbonation within the concrete and as such the level of protection the concrete is affording the steel against the effects of corrosion
- Chloride testing to extract samples for testing in our partner UKAS laboratory to identify the presence and level of chlorides within the concrete structure.
On completion of the site based survey works, the results were collated at our offices and formulated into a formal survey report with recommendations for suitable repair and protection of the structure.